Monday, September 12, 2011

Week One

So, our first week has gone pretty well overall.  I've been slowly developing a routine for us, though not too stringently because I know soon it will all change as we start therapy.

We started a couple weeks late from the curriculum's original plan, but I'm not too worried about that detail.  Isaiah is actually having fun, and that's what I'm focusing on right now!

This week's goals:
Bible story:  Creation, Day 1, 2
Book:  Llama, Llama, Red Pajama
Color:  Red
Number : 1
Letters:  A-G
Shape:  Circle
Information:  First Name
Self-care/Manners:  Sitting Quietly

Now, before you think I'm some kind of super mom who had this great plan and actually implemented it and accomplished everything listed above, think again!  One of the things that I love about this curriculum is that there are so many possibilities that I don't feel pressured to actually do everything listed.  There's time.  I have two main goals:  1) Have positive, somewhat structured interaction with my son that encourages learning; 2) Have fun!

So this week, it looked like this:

Almost every morning we read Part I from The Big Picture Story Bible.  (Thank you, dear David and Cathy.)  It's more of a thematic approach to telling children God's story, but I really like it!  I think it's helpful for Isaiah because there aren't too many details.  Then at random times during the day we sang the songs from the lessons.  Isaiah really, really likes them, though he won't sing them.  He always says "Again!" whenever I finish.

Monday was Labor Day, but we didn't let that stop us from having fun with friends and taking over our Day 1 and 2 art projects.  All the kids, even Isaiah seemed to really enjoy the projects!

Coffee Filter Earths, so easy, but all the kids liked them.

This was almost my fave pic for the week, I couldn't believe how into this project Isaiah was!

Day 2

Tuesday the kids and I went for a run in a park nearby, and wouldn't you know it, the firemen were there running, too.  And they traveled in style!  As they pulled into the parking lot they saw me with the kids and flashed their lights on the GREAT BIG RED TRUCK that's wheels are circles of course.  Yeah, that was pure gravy.

Wednesday we played with red play-doh and snacked on strawberry flavored Twizzlers, after we had a fun play date with friends!



Thursday was a marathon doctor day.  We left the house at 9:30am and returned shortly before 5:00pm.  I don't remember what we did that night.

Friday was Isaiah's physical therapy re-evaluation.  He did great, naturally.  And while this won't mean anything to many people, I have to brag that for the first time, he wheeled his chair all the way from the therapy clinic to the parking garage, which includes a slightly inclined breezeway!  When I'm hurrying with the kids, that walk takes me 10 minutes.  It took us a little longer after his appointment, but it was so worth it!

Saturday before going to watch UGA football (yes, RED uniforms) with some friends, we painted with shaving cream again!  I just can't get over how much Isaiah liked this activity.  He painted the Creation craft again, but then we just played with the shaving cream, drawing circles and lines on the table cloth.  We had a great time.

I didn't do anything with letters, but I have something ready for this week.  Isaiah already knows his name really well, and if you've ever been near us in church, you know how well he can sit quietly.  Hurray for easy successes in those areas!

Faves of the week:

Isaiah:  Play-doh and shaving cream painting were probably a tie.  He loves play-doh, and he was so into the shaving cream paint that I had to tell him it was time for ice cream in order to get him to stop painting! That's certainly a first.

Mama:  Ok, Saturday football was my favorite.  I have to find a way to tie that in again this week. :)

Picture:

Isaiah was being the teacher, telling Nadia who people were, even in some old pictures!  I love my family.

To learn more about what we're doing, visit ABC Jesus Loves Me or Our Out-Of-Sync Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment